"I thought it was so wrong that the opportunities he had access to in life could be limited due to things like his zip code, the color of his skin, the bank balance of his mother, or the school system he attended. We are wasting so much talent in a country where we have no one to waste."
As a recent college graduate, Gerald Chertavian was introduced to his 10-year-old "Little Brother," David Heredia. David's situation and the friendship that developed between them inspired Gerald to found Year Up.
YEAR UP TIMELINE
- Year Up is founded in Boston, Massachusetts.
- Year Up incorporates as a 501(c) 3 in October.
- Alta Communications gives Year Up its first space on the 5th floor of the Hancock Tower, Boston, MA.
- Year Up moves to 93 Summer Street.
- The Year Up program enrolls its first cohort, 22 students.
- In January, first internships begin. Corporate partners include: Abt Associates, Amerivault, Aquent, Bain & Company, CitySoft, Digitas, Everynetwork, Fidelity, Hale & Dorr, Partners Healthcare, Putnam Investments and Upromise.
- The first Year Up class graduates!
- Year Up has 100 alumni on the books.
- Year Up Providence, RI opens, and becomes the first site outside of Boston.
- Year Up launches the Investment Operations curriculum track.
- Year Up National Capital Region launches.
- Year Up New York launches.
- Microsoft commits to $10M in multiyear support to Year Up.
- Year Up Bay Area opens.
- Year Up begins its Diversity and Cultural Competency Initiative to build a more diverse organization responsive to our student and staff needs.
- Year Up Atlanta opens.
- The "Serve America Act" is signed into law. Year Up is a founding member of America Forward, the coalition that spearheaded this effort.
- Year Up Chicago opens.
- Year Up holds the first-annual Walk for Opportunity to support economic and educational opportunities for young adults.
- Year Up Baltimore, a pilot program in partnership with the Community College of Baltimore County, launches.
- Greg Walton becomes the first Year Up alumnus to join the National Board.
- Year Up Puget Sound opens.
- Year Up Miami, a pilot program in partnership with Miami Dade Community College, launches.
- Year Up Philadelphia, a pilot program in partnership with Peirce College, launches.
Year Up today: A model of success.4,000 + alumni
250 + Corporate partners
1,900 students currently enrolled
100% placement of qualified Year Up students into internships.
91% of corporate partners would recommend the Year Up program to a friend or colleague
84% of graduates are employed or attending college full-time within four months of completing the program.
Employed Year Up graduates earn an average of $15 per hour - the equivalent of $30,000 per year.